Dal Chawal_ is nothing but rice and any lentil or legumes based gravy. Very simple and healthy dish loaded with proteins. Also such a comforting dish and you can prepare within 15-20 minutes. Today I had some leftover pressure cooked cowpeas (தட்டப் பயிறு in Tamil). You can try the same recipe wit
Dal Chawal is nothing but a combination of rice and any lentil or legumes based gravy. Very simple and healthy dish loaded with proteins. Also such a comforting dish and you can prepare within 15-20 minutes. Today I had some leftover pressure cooked cowpeas (தட்டப் பயிறு in Tamil). You can try the same recipe with any other dals like Channa(கடலைபருப்பு), Moong (பாசிபருப்பு), Toor(துவரம்பருப்பு) or with any legumes like Lobia, Kabuli Channa, Green Peas etc.
Usually the best combination for chawal is pickle and curd. Today I prepared raita using radish and it was a yumm lunch combo.
Ingredients for Dal :
- Cooked cowpeas – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chili – 1
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Salt – 1/4 tbsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Jeera,Mustard seeds – 1/4 tbsp each.
Method of Preparation :
- Heat oil in a pressure pan
- Add jeera,mustard., curry leaves.Let them splutter.
- Now add slit green chili and chopped onions, tomatoes.
- Keep sauteing for about 3-4 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Then add cowpeas and 11/2 cups of water.
- Close the pan and let it get cooked upto 3 whistles
- If you find the gravy is little runny then add cornflour+water paste and boil the gravy for a minute. (This step is optional)
- If the consistency is good and thick then do not add cornflour paste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice.
Radish Raita :
- Grate radish in a grater.
- Mix 2 tbsp of curd, 1/2 tbsp of milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the grated radish to the bowl and serve immediately with rice.
- Alternately you can prepare a simple Tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili, hing and curry leaves and add it to radish raita.
I directly pressure cooked the dal with onion-tomato masala since the cowpeas was already cooked separately. If you are using dried greenpeas or channa then kindly soak them overnight and then pressure cook them. Then prepare the gravy.