சுண்டல் (Sundal) in Tamil means a snack prepared using mainly using Legumes. They are rich in Proteins, Fibre.It can be served in either sweet or savory version. During important festivals Sundal is offered as Nevedhyam to God/Goddess. Especially during Navarathri (9-Day Festival) each and every day different varieties of Sundal are prepared and offered.
Main Ingredients :
- Good Quality beans,lentils.
- Dried Red Chilly or Green Chilly.
- Curry leaves.
- Coriander leaves.
- Grated Coconut.
Things to Remember :
- If you are preparing Sundal from any of these following Kabuli Channa, Rajma, Kala Channa,Peanuts,Green Peas, don’t forget to soak them overnight. They need to be soaked in water for at least about 6-7 hours.
- For lentils like Moong Dal, Channa Dal you can soak them in water for about 1 hour.
- While cooking legumes in Pressure cooker add little salt. Sometimes when you add more salt the legumes will take time to cook.
- Do not over cook the legumes. If they are mashed up the sundal might end up as a Gravy 😉 😉
- Adding ginger and asafoetida to the savory version of Sundal will help in easy digestion.
- If you are preparing the sweeter version then use fresh jaggery & cardamom powder.
- Since you are offering Sundal as prasadham to Goddess it is better to avoid onions & garlic and prepare it as Saatvik food.