Veg Puff is one of the most popular evening snack item in Tamil Nadu. In our local tamil language it is mostly referred as Pups (பப்ஸ்) 😉 Though it sounds funny, we all are used to the colloquial way of addressing it.
You can never say no to a cup of hot masala tea a vegetable puff from roadside bakery shop. They are match made in heaven 🙂
I still remember those precious school days.Me and my friends used to wait in queue in the _ “Iyengar Bakery_” to get hold of these flaky,delicious puffs. I never ever imagined that we can make these at home. I used to think Puffs as an exotic dish that can be made only by professionals. Nowadays everything is so easily available and thanks to Ready Made Puff Pastry sheet, I was able to recreate my childhood favorite dish at home itself.
Here I have used a vegetable based filling however you could substitute that with soya,mushroom,boiled egg or chicken based filling. Only thing you need to take care is that the filling should be a little dry and shouldn’t have too much of moisture in it. Or else the puffs will be very soggy.I used only half of the puff pastry sheet. That yielded me 6 medium sized puffs.
Tips on handling Pastry Sheet :
– Always get readily rolled out pastry sheets. That will ease our process.
– If you have stored the sheet in a freezer, make sure to defrost the sheets for minimum 12 hours before using them.
– If you have stored them in the normal rack in refridgerator then you need to wait for at least 30-45 minutes before using the sheet.
– This will avoid breakage of the sheet.
– I have used a bit of ghee and milk wash to get golden brown color on the puffs.
– If you eat eggs, then you can very well use egg wash on top of the puffs to obtain a golden color.
Ingredients for the filling :
- Potato – 2
- Onion – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Frozen Sweet Corn or Frozen peas – 1/4 cup
- Ginger garlic pieces – 1/4 tsp each
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 4 tbsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp.
Preparation *of *filling:
Pressure cook potatoes upto 3 whistles and allow it to cool completely.
In a kadai or wok, heat oil.Add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
Then add chopped onions,ginger garlic.
Saute well. Sprinkle salt and turmeric.
Now add chopped tomatoes, carrots and add all the dry powders.
Lower the flame and close the pan.
Do not add extra water. Once the veggies are 3/4th cooked, add potatoes,sweet corn.
Mix everything together. Adjust salt and spice according to your taste.
Shaping the puffs :
Make rectangle shapes from the puff pastry sheet.
Keep a spoon of filling in the middle of each and every sheet.
Close the sheet gently and make sure you don’t overfill.
Using fork seal the edges.
Apply little milk and ghee on top of them before baking in oven.
Line a baking tray with baking sheet and then bake the puffs in a preheated oven (180c) for 15 minutes.
Then turn on Grill or broil mode and then bake until the top of Veg puffs are golden.
You need to keep an eye on the whole process. There are chances where you might over bake the puff.
Once they are baked, remove from oven. Serve the flaky, filling veg puffs along with a cup of hot tea or coffee.