This is very similar to the usual Moongdal Payasam but more creamier and richer. The addition of coconut makes all the difference. My Amma calls it as ‘Malayala payasam’ could be because of addition of coconut 🤔 My little one loves anything “shweeeet” and when I run out of choices for her evening snack I make this quick payasam.
- You can replace Moongdal with Masoor Dal
- You can grind Almonds,Cashews along with coconut
- Depending on your preferred consistency you can increase the quantity of milk
- I used powdered jaggery and they don’t usually have many impurities. So I add jaggery powder directly to the payasam. If you feel you need to filter out impurities then you can dissolve jaggery in water and boil for a minute or two and then add the syrup to the payasam
- The following measurement serves 4