Gulab Jamun and 7cup Burfi are the two most commonly made sweets in TN especially during Deepavali. Jamun mix is readily available in all stores and for 7cups Burfi you need only basic ingredients that is at home. After sharing Dried Gulab Jamun last week in the blog I was waiting to share my 7cup Burfi recipe here. Few refer it to as 7 cup cake too 😬Have tried twice in the past few years during Deepavali but somehow they didn’t turn out perfect.
Woke up a little early today and thought of giving this sweet a try again. It came out very well. When it comes to SouthIndian sweets I generally hesitate a lot to try recipes which calls for specific consistency of Syrups (both sugar & jaggery). I know I will goof up 🤪 This 7cup Burfi is pretty straight forward. All you need to do is stir stir stir.
This recipe is like eating a mix of Mysurpa and Coconut Burfi. One stone two mangoes 😬 My mother in law is an expert in making these Burfis. Below is a pic of her preparation.
My Notes for making 7cup Burfi :
- I used Demerara Sugar (unrefined sugar) hence that slight brown color tinge in Burfi. If you are using regular white sugar the burfis will be in mild yellow color. Also if you feel that 3 cups of Sugar is too much maybe you can reduce 1/2 a cup and make it to 2.5 cups. Thats the maximum change you can do to this proportion combination.
- I used Desiccated Coconut since I didn’t have any fresh coconut at home. If you have fresh coconut kindly use that. This way you won’t see any bumps in Burfi, they will look plain.
- You can use any measuring cup if you want. Make sure you take all the main ingredients using that same cup and same proportion as mentioned below
- Always use a thick bottomed vessel to make this Burfi. I used my Pressure Pan. Thats the only thick bottomed vessel I have. If you have reliable nonstick pans you can use them too
- Keep on stirring. Don’t let the sweet mixture stick to the bottom of the pan
- I haven’t added any additional nuts like cardamom or pistachios. If you want you can add them as a garnish
- Have a plate greased with ghee ready. The moment you see the right consistency you need to transfer immediately to the plate