Dal Chawal is nothing but a combination of rice and any lentil or legumes based gravy. Rajma Chawal is a very popular dish however we can use any favorite legumes or lentils. Very simple and healthy dish loaded with proteins. Also such a comforting dish and you can prepare within 15-20 minutes. Only thing to be keep in mind is if you are using legumes like Kidney Beans, Black or Brown Channa you need to soak them for atleast 10-12 hours and then pressure cook it.
Today I had some leftover pressure cooked cowpeas (தட்டப் பயிறு in Tamil). You can try the same recipe with any other dals like Channa(கடலைபருப்பு), Moong (பாசிபருப்பு), Toor(துவரம்பருப்பு) or with any legumes.
Usually the best combination for chawal is pickle and curd. Today I prepared raita using radish and it was a yumm lunch combo.
Ingredients for Dal :
- Cooked cowpeas – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chilli – 1
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Salt – 1/4 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Jeera,Mustard seeds – 1/4 tbsp each.
Method of Preparation :
- Heat oil in a pressure pan
- Add jeera,mustard., curry leaves.Let them splutter.
- Now add slit green chilli and chopped onions, tomatoes.
- Keep sauteing for about 3-4 minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Then add cowpeas and 11/2 cups of water.
- Close the pan and let it get cooked upto 5 whistles
- If you find the gravy is little runny then add cornflour+water paste and boil the gravy for a minute. (This step is optional)
- If the consistency is good and thick then do not add cornflour paste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steaming hot rice.
Radish Raita :
- Grate radish in a grater.
- Mix 2 tbsp of curd, 1/2 tbsp of milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the grated radish to the bowl and serve immediately with rice.
- Alternately you can prepare a simple Tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal, red chili, hing and curry leaves and add it to radish raita.