Kanu Pandigai is celebrated the next day after Pongal. On this special occasion sisters pray for their brothers in their family. We usually get Pongal Seeru (money or gifts) from our brothers. :-D.
Generally during Kanu, Aadi 18(ஆடி 18ஆம் பெருக்கு) we prepare variety rice for lunch with a simple Moong Dal/Milk Payasam or Chakkarai Pongal accompanied with Vadai,Aviyal, Chips or Frymes. ஆடிப்பெருக்கு is believed to be an auspicious day for new beginnings. This year it falls on August 2nd 2016. I hope the below tips & tricks help you in preparing this delicious platter.
It might look little hard to prepare so many items on the same day but its always good to prepare few things in advance. So that during the festival day you don’t have to be in kitchen for a long time 🙂
Tips & Tricks :
Things to do on the previous day.
- I always prepare Pulikaichal (Puliodharai paste) a day in advance
- Chop vegetables for Aviyal
- Shred 1 full coconut and store it in freezer. You can use it for Coconut rice aviyal
- The next day morning first thing to do is Soak Urad Dal as early as possible for vadai.
- Cook the rice in pressure cooker or in a rice cooker and keep it ready.
- Normally rice : water ratio is 1 : 31/2. But while making variety rice you can reduce the water quantity. (water depends on the type of rice you use.make sure it is not mushy)
- Use fork to mix rice with Pulikaichal/Lemon rice mix/coconut rice. This way the rice doesn’t get all mashed up.
Check out the other recipes in the links below :