I have been sharing Deepavali related snacks & sweets posts in Instagram for the past few days. Thenkozhal, Butter Murukku, Thattai recipes are already in blog. I couldn’t believe that my favorite Ribbon Pakoda recipe is not in the blog yet 😁 In TamilNadu Ribbon Pakoda has several names. Ottu Bakoda, Ola Pakoda, Nada Pakoda etc. In my house we refer this as Ribbon Pakoda only. Prepared it today afternoon and managed to take step by step pics as well. Thanks to the series am trying to add more fresh recipes here. With still only have 6 days left for Deepavali am hoping to add few more new recipes to the blog.
This is my Amma’s recipe. No matter how many blogs/websites/youtube channels are out there I always double check with my Amma her proportions & recipes 🤪 Especially with Bakshanam/Diwali Snacks her recipes are the best. Also before documenting the recipe here I also want to make sure the measurements are perfect when I make them at home. Only then I will udate the recipe here. Coming back to Ribbon Pakoda it is so easy to make. There are few pressure points which we shouldn’t ignore.
My notes for making Ribbon Pakoda :
- The ratio of Gram Flour(கடலை மாவு) and Rice Flour is always 2:1
- The dough will be sticky and will be little tough to handle. However in order to have a mess free hand please don’t more Rice Flour. Ribbon Pakoda then will become harder
- Apply little oil in your hands if you find really hard to handle the dough
- You can also use a spoon to transfer dough from the bowl to Murukku Press
- Always prepare dough in small portions and then prepare Pakoda
- If you are using induction hob ensure that the oil don’t get heated up much. Pakoda will immediately change to dark brown color and you won’t be able to get that achieve that perfect golden color
- I have used store bough Rice Flour for this recipe. If you have homemade flour then kindly use that too.
- Adding Chilli Powder is based on your preference. I added only 1/4 teaspoon of it since my daughter won’t eat too much of spicy food
The following measurement yields 8-9 small Ribbon Pakoda. Kindly adjust quantities based on your preference