Best lunch box recipe and could be prepared within 30 minutes. The following measurement serves two.
This is my favorite childhood lunch box recipe 🙂 My mum used to pack a very simple Potato Fry as side dish for this rice. Such a classic lunch combination. Have given both the recipes below. Adjust measurements depending on the number of people you are going to cook
- Whenever you prepare Mixed Rice (கலந்த சாதம்) ensure that cooked rice is not sticky or soggy. Adjust the amount of water accordingly. I generally use 3 cups of water for one cup of Rice (ponni rice) And leave it to cool down completely
- Heat cooking oil & ghee in a frying pan
- Add peanuts and roast it for a minute
- Later add urad dal,mustard seeds,curry leaves.
- Let them splutter.
- Finely chop the green chillies and add them to pan along with ginger pieces.
Saute it for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and hing.
- Let this tadka cool for about 5-6 minutes
- Later add lemon juice,salt in the pan
- Now start mixing white rice with the tadka in the pan. Adjust salt according to your taste.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 3 whistles and peel the skin off once they are cooled down
- Cut them into cubes or you can just slightly mash it with your hands.
- Now marinate the potatoes with chilli powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add urad dal,mustard seeds,curry leaves.
- Let them splutter. Add a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt to taste.
- Later fry the marinated potatoes in the pan for about 10-12 minutes.
- The flame has to be low and once the potatoes are in golden brown color you can remove from pan and serve it
- Rice and potato ready to be packed