When it comes to deep fried Savory snacks I will experiment happily. I don’t have a sweet tooth and I absolutely love eating crunchy savory Norukks 😋😋 I found this Moongdal based recipe in one of my favorite food blogger’s feed. Radha aunty is such an inspiration. At this stage she tries and creates so many easy to do recipes, takes videos and shares it with all of us. If you are in Instagram you can follow her . Her IG Handle : youreverydaycook (Radha Natrajan) She also has a FB page and Youtube channel in the same name. This Moongdal Murukku is made from pressure cooked moongdal & Rice Flour. The original recipe used Rice flour. However since I had lots of leftover Idiyappam Flour I used it.
My Notes on MoongDal Murukku :
- The Murukku dough will be soft and smooth like Roti dough. I used one star plate and shaped the Murukku
- When shaping the Murukku falls apart it means that the dough is little loose. Add a tablespoon of extra Rice Flour, knead the dough and start shaping
- For one cup of Idiyappam Flour I used half cup of Pressure Cooked Moongdal (paasi பருப்பு) This ratio works well. Haven’t tried substituting it with pressure cooked ToorDal (துவரம் பருப்பு). So not sure how the result will be. If you are keen on experimenting you could try
- When adding butter make sure it is at room temperature and also first incorporate the butter well into the Flour mixture and then add water
- Adding spice is based on your preference. I added very less Chilli Powder since my daughter is too young and can’t handle too much spicy murukku.
- You can add your own flavorings to the Murukku. Grated Garlic, Crushed Black Pepper Powder can be added too.
Even if there is no festival you can make this as a snack for evening Tea. My little one loved it. It can be packed in their snack boxes too.