Few days back I tried Instant Oats + Ragi Oothappam and they turned out so well. I made only a small portion of that batter for our dinner. I couldn’t try Idlis with the same batter. Yesterday I thought of preparing Instant Oats Idlis taking inspiration from that Oothapam. Generally when we see most of the instant recipes it all has one common ingredient which is Semolina/Sooji. Ofcourse it adds a lovely texture to Idlis however I wanted to try something with just Oats,Flax and Millet flours alone. Also I wanted to prepare an Instant Idli batter without Baking Soda too. Initially I had doubts what if the Idlis don’t raise and it becomes flat, just went ahead and eyeballed the proportions. Am so glad Oats Idli came out so well.
I have added Flax Seed Powder, Ragi/Finger Millet Flour, Jowar Flour, Porridge Mix Powder (சத்து மாவு கஞ்சி பொடி) for making this batter. My Porridge Mix powder is homemade which has lot of whole grains. If you don’t have Porridge Mix powder then omit it and add extra Jowar Flour (sola மாவு) or Pearl Millet Flour (கம்பு மாவு). Its a wholesome breakfast or dinner option. Diabetic Friendly recipe too. If you don’t have any of these powders but only have Oats, Flaxseeds at home then try this Broken Wheat/Samba/Dalia Oats Idli.
Notes to remember when making Oats Idli
- The texture wont be soft and spongy as Regular Idlis
- Adding Yogurt + Lemon Juice is important. Don’t omit these two ingredients
- Try steaming one Test Idli first 🙂 In case if didn’t fluff up or if you aren’t happy with the texture you can make this as Cheela/Dosai too
- The batter needs no fermentation
- Adding Semolina/Sooji is not required. However if you want a crumbly texture to Idlis then add 1/4 cup Roasted Rava to the batter
The following measurement is for two. It yielded around 12 Idlis. My Day 18 Dinner Plate looked like this