Hummus is a creamy sauce/dip made from Chickpeas. Mediterranean Mezze Platter is incomplete without Hummus. It goes well with salads, can be used as a spread on Bread Toasts & Rotis, serve it with Pita Chips as a snack and can also be eaten with Cucumber,Carrot,Celery sticks etc. With very basic ingredients we can prepare this at home.
Hummus Variations :
1.Boiled beets to make Beetroot Hummus
2. Roasted Bell Pepper to make roasted Capsicum flavored Hummus. Adding an old pic from my archives. This was taken in 2015 I believe 🙂
3.Wilted Spinach to make Spinach Hummus.
The list goes on. Shall update this blogpost with the pics of other varieties of Hummus whenever I make it 🙂 You can use different spices of your choice like smoked paprika, sumac, Za’atar to flavor your Hummus.
Building a meal around Hummus is so easy. You can make some deep fried or baked Falafels, serve them with a 1/4 cup of Hummus as dip and a salad. This meal is filling and healthy too. In the pic below I used Hummus as a spread on Toast & added some spinach+tomatoes 😋😋 Great way to include this protein rich dip in Breakfast. It keeps full for longer
- I have tried preparing Hummus from both Canned Chickpeas and traditionally soaked & pressure cooked Chickpeas. Both of them taste same. You can use whichever is easier for you
- I don’t like the smell of raw garlic in Hummus. They leave a strong after taste. I always mildly roast them before preparing Hummus
- Removing skin from Chickpeas yields a smooth creamy Hummus. It takes few extra minutes to do that. I have shared a simple trick to do that too. Incase if you are running out of time you can make Hummus with skin too
- I have used store bought Tahini. Tahini is nothing but roasted sesame seeds blended with oil until a smooth Tahini paste is formed.If you don’t have Tahini at home you can skip it or prepare a small quantity of Sesame Paste at home with White Sesame seeds & any neutral oil. Then add the paste while prepping Hummus