‘Pitlai’ (பிட்ளை) is more or less like our regular tamil style ‘Aachuvitta Sambar’ which is prepared using either bittergourd or brinjal along with chickpeas. Unlike sambar, consistency of pitlai is very thick and can be served as a side dish to Idli/Dosa too. The recipe given below is exactly how my maternal grandmother and my mother makes it.
– Kala channa or brown chickpeas is ideally used while making pitlai
– You could substitue it with white chickpeas or green peas
– Generally coconut paste is only used to spice the ‘pitlai’.However we do add a teaspoon of sambar powder along with the paste.
– If you don’t have sambar powder add an extra red chilli & some coriander seeds
– Avarakkai (Indian Broad Beans) can be used instead of bittergourd,brinjal