Rice is and will always be an integral part of my everyday meal. Over the past few months am just focussing on eating right. Still a long way to go in setting up a routine 🙂 Have been trying to include more wholesome foods and cutting back on processed foods. Brown Rice is nutrient rich and has high fibre+anti oxidants compared to White Rice. Have tried cooking it few times before but somehow never liked the texture. After moving to Ireland I found this whole grain brown rice packet in Aldi and after few trial & errors now I am so addicted to Brown Rice. It helps in portion control and I can totally vouch for it. Even a small cup of Brown Rice keeps you fuller for a longer time. Once we know how to pressure cook brown rice then there is no going back. You can add them in salads, prepare a nutritious Buddha Bowl with Brown rice and other accompaniments as shown below
Check the recipes below that I prepared using Brown Rice
The cooking time between a regular whole grain Brown Rice is different from Brown Basmati Rice. You need to do few trials before getting the propotion of water, cooking timings right. In general there are few points to keep in mind before cooking Brown Rice.
- Always soak Brown Rice for atleast 3-4 hours before cooking them.
- Soaking reduces the cooking time of Brown Rice
- If you feel there is extra water after cooking the Brown Rice then check the texture of the Rice. If the rice is cooked yet there is extra water you can drain it using a sieve
- However if you feel the Rice is not cooked well and there is also water remaining in the vessel then pressure cook it for two or three more whistles
- Start experimenting with just small portion of Rice (say half cup) first
- I generally cook my Rice in bulk. One cup of uncooked Brown Rice yields atleast 3 cups of Cooked Rice. I use it for atleast 4 meals. Even smaller quantity keeps you full