Idiyappam is another popular SouthIndian breakfast that can be served with sweet Coconut Milk,Veg Stew or Kuruma or even Coconut Chutney or Kadalai Curry . I have made Idiyappam from scratch a couple of times when we were in Chennai but after moving to UK I found this Niru brand’s readymade Rice Noodles which was so convenient and I didn’t bother much about making Idiyappam from scratch.
However am yet to find a readymade Rice Noodles brand in Limerick 😉 and I was craving Idiyappam+Kuruma combo for a longtime. So last weekend thought of making this at hoem with the help of Murukku Press. It was slightly difficult but at the end of the day nothing like having soft,light homemade Idiyappam + Veg Gravy for a weekend breakfast 😋😋 The effort was all worth it.
- Use readymade Idiyappam Flour instead of plain Rice Flour
- It will be easier to make Idiyappams when the dough is warm. So keep everything ready and then starting making them
- If you have that Brass Idiyappam maker go ahead and use it instead of the Murukku Press as shown below
- When you are making Idiyappam with the dough, close the remaining dough with a towel. This will prevent the Idiyappam Dough from drying
- Make sure the dough is not too wet. It has to be a smooth, soft dough. If it is too wet you can’t easily shape the Idiyappams